Nathan, Colette & Annika

Welcome to our family...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Changed my mind about dentist visits

Yesterday, Nathan took Annika and me to our dentist appointments in Napoleon. This is the closest place that accepts our insurance and so we got it over with. Annika did fine with her 30 second visit while my 10 minutes were excruciating. Nathan claims I was in there not much longer than that and I had apparently 8 cavities. Mind you this is more than I've ever had in my life and all at once?! Not only this but I'm deathly afraid of needles and went unwarned as 1, 2, 4 and eventually 6 needles were shoved into my mouth filled with anesthetic. After 6 I asked how many more there was going to be. ONE was my answer, TWO were the result. Also before all this, I asked if there was going to be any anesthetic as my usual dentist doesn't use any. (My dad and I have never needed it when going in for cavities). The dentist replied "No, it's just a local anesthetic" and he put in a cotton swab with numbing ointment and after a few seconds I saw the needle. I didn't even have time to say "No" or to tell him I don't ever get shots for dental work. I clung to the table for dear life and was shaking like a leaf when I left. Nate asked how it went and I got teary eyed. I never ever had a bad dental visit but this has changed everything. My mouth doesn't close right because there is too much "filling" in my right tooth and makes my bite uneven. One tooth is still sensitive to cold and hot which for me is unusual and I told Nate he dug out the cavities first then filled them on the second round so I hope he didn't forget one. BUT I won't be going back to that dentist. One good thing came out of the anesthesia experience though and that is that Nate had one "Get by Free" card by me to make fun of my face if he wanted. If you've ever seen Two-Face (Harvey Dent after his trauma), one side of my face didn't move so I could only smile with half my lips. We got a lot of laughs out and one time Nathan had to tell me "Colette-you're drooling" He thought that was pretty funny too and even Annika was explaining how to smile to me as I told her I couldn't. Here's a few pictures to explain:

BEFORE:




 AFTER:
 THE WORST BUT FUNNIEST

1 comment:

  1. Oh Colette,
    You are too funny!! I never like going to the dentist...shots or not although I guess shots never really bother me too much so that is good. Poor little Annika ...I can hear her telling you how to smile. lol Hopefully next time will be better.
    Glad you started this blog!!!!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete